Why should I join the Tennessee Psychological Association?
This is a fair question. Luckily, we have the answer! TPA works hard for our members – we strive to provide many benefits to being part of one cohesive group of psychologists. In addition to the camaraderie that comes from being part of the largest group of psychological professionals in Tennessee, TPA is happy to provide you with the benefits listed below. These are just a few of the benefits available to you – TPA is always on the lookout for even more opportunities to make your membership to TPA work even harder for you.
TPA has contracted with Avis and Hertz to offer discounted rates to TPA members. We also have discounted rates for hotel rooms available to TPA members for the TPA Annual Convention. And now you can also get a variety of benefits through our new partnership with Office Depot. These discounts are available whether you rent for business or pleasure, and a portion of proceeds will go to TPA.
TPA’s Annual Convention is in late October or the first week of November each year, in Nashville. As an APA-approved sponsor of continuing education, we continue to offer workshops at affordable rates. TPA also maintains a record of attendance and continuing education credits awarded at workshops and at each workshop.
The TPA website has undergone a complete transformation, and we urge you to utilize the services it has to offer. We encourage you to make it your homepage, so that you are always in touch with the information TPA can provide. Our goal is to rely on the website more and more to disseminate important information and news, so I hope you take a moment to familiarize yourself with it. Our website has several exciting features that will assist you in your practice:
1. Members-only forum. This feature allows you to post questions, issues and suggestions to be read by your fellow TPA associates. This is yet a very under-utilized benefit, so try it out and take advantage of the access to discussion and networking.
2. Association Mall. If you shop or make travel arrangements on line, then take a moment to access the mall through our website. If you already use sites such as Amazon, Expedia, Target, Wal-Mart, the Gap, to name a few, then access them through www.flapsych.com. By making purchases this way, TPA receives a portion of the proceeds. This revenue source will enable us to keep your dues at an affordable rate.
3. Publications. Have you misplaced an issue of the FP or FP Update? Don’t panic! You can read issues of these publications on our website. Advertising space is also available, both on our website and in our print publications, allowing you the opportunity to reach all of your fellow members at once, whether it be to promote a workshop or conference, or advertise available office space.
4. Membership Directory. Do you need to find a member in a certain location or with a particular specialty? Search our membership directory. It is the most current listing.
5. Division/SIG List Serves. When you join a division or special interest group, you will be added to an e-mail list serve so that you can communicate with those in your specialized field. You can easily stay in touch with your colleagues without having to worry about updating your address book. Simply request to be removed from the list if you do not wish to receive these e-mails.
Members of the Legislative Advocacy Directorate are always working hard to monitor legislation that could impact your profession. While this is a relatively unseen benefit, bad legislation can profoundly affect your ability to practice. Membership in TPA is a commitment to the protection of your profession.
Take advantage of the activities your regional associations. Whether it is in the form of social activities, professional networking, or free CE’s, your chapter can provide you with many important benefits. Visit our website for a listing of your chapter officers and contact information.
As always, TPA Central Office is here to assist you in any way that we can! Please feel free to call or email us if you have any questions regarding membership, or any of these exciting membership benefits. We are here for you!